Red Island at sunset

Red Island at sunset

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Day 4 – 989 QSO’s today – total of 4372 QSO’s in 4 days

Well there’s less than 24 hours before I go QRT. That means it’s been 4 days in the tropics without a shower........

It’s also been 4 nights in a row with only 3 hours sleep per night so it feels like the cheese is sliding off my cracker – I just need to keep it together for one more day on this uninhabited island – WILSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m on the north side of the island and I was told by my support guy today who dropped off some ice for me this morning that on the south side of the island a crocodile has made a home there in the mangroves but the local Aboriginal people reckon I should be alright. Kind of wished he waited until tomorrow as we’re packing up the boat before he told me that as I have one night to go here.  

Its 12:00 noon local/ 0200 UTC now, I’ll start operating around 0500 UTC on 15m, it’ll be slow going then but the band opens up really well into Europe at 0930 UTC. It’ll be tough going tonight due to the Worked All Germany contest so there’ll be lots of QRM everywhere. After 1500 UTC last night I had to work simplex and move frequencies a couple of times due to contest QRM.

I woke up an extra hour early today to try 20m at 2100-2200 for long path signals. It was really really really slow going but there were stations from Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina, Falkland Islands, Alaska and Trinidad & Tobago that got in the log so it was worth it. I’ll do the same thing tomorrow so look for me at 2100-2200 UTC on 20m before I go QRT at 2200 UTC/10am local time.


No comments:

Post a Comment